Taking your annual vacation doesn’t mean that you get time off from maintaining a healthy smile! When you’re deciding what to pack, be sure to consider all of the tools that you’ll need to keep up with your oral hygiene routine.
Additionally, you should take some steps to prepare for a possible dental emergency while you are away from home. Talk with your dentist to develop a plan for keeping your smile as healthy as possible so that it will look great in all of those vacation photos!
How To Take Care Of Your Smile While Traveling
Ideally, you will be able to see your dentist for a check-up prior to your trip. This will give you the opportunity to address any minor issues so that they won’t become major problems that can interfere with your travels.
While you are away, these suggestions can help you keep your smile in tip-top shape.
- Bring all of your oral hygiene tools with you, including toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss. Be sure to adhere to all TSA regulations if you are traveling by air.
- Stick to your regular routine as much as possible. For example, if you typically brush and floss as soon as you get out of bed in the morning, continue to do so even when home is a hotel room rather than your house.
- Keep your toothbrush bacteria-free. Transport it in a resealable plastic bag and take it out to air dry as soon as you get to your destination.
- Carry ADA-approved sugar-free gum with you. Chewing gum for 20 minutes post-meal can aid in cavity prevention.
In Case Of Emergency
Space may be tight in your luggage, but you should still consider bringing along a few small items that might be helpful in case of a dental emergency, such as:
- Dental wax (for any fellow travelers who have some sort of dental appliances)
- Oral analgesics
- Temporary dental cement
You should also keep the contact information for your dentist handy should you need to consult with a pro. Even if you’re in a different time zone, you can still contact us for guidance. We do have on-call staff available for emergencies that occur after business hours.
Are you preparing for a great getaway? Be sure that you’re taking care of your smile during your trip. Call Crosspointe Dental & Orthodontics and speak to one of our knowledgeable staff members if you have any questions about smile maintenance while you are traveling.